This is the archive for November 2007. Recent posts can be found at the main blog page.
I just rolled a Epiphany 2.20.2 tarball, with help from Reinout who did most of the work. You can grab it (while it’s hot!) from the usual place:
Md5sums for the gzip and bz2 versions: 7c07da60640d6091ae0ad716e4d4baf6 and
I see Bruno Boaventura writes about his dark desktop theme and how to create it. I wrote about my own dark desktop theme (still named Gummy at that time, it’s Glossy now) a while ago as well, but I’ve rather quickly changed back to the normal blue on grey theme, since I find it causes less eye strain on me.
Additionally, contrary to popular belief, light colors on a laptop screen actually consume less battery power than dark colors. This is in contrast with traditional CRT monitors, which consume more power for light colors.
I think it is really strange that Tango artist Andreas questions the existence of someone else. I have strong evidence (shot during Guadec) that Andreas is a ghost himself:
Recently I’ve bought a Samsung ML-2010 printer. I had some issues getting it going, so here’s my account of how I got it to work.
The Samsung ML-2010 is a relatively cheap and simple monochrome USB laser printer, and is known to work perfectly under Linux according to the OpenPrinting database entry on the Samsung ML-2010. The driver is available from the
splix package. On my Debian box it was as simple as:
apt-get install splix
Okay, so good for the drivers. Adding the printer using
gnome-cups-manager worked like a charm as well.
I tried printing a test page. Nothing happened. I tried again. Now, the printer started printing. But what came out was certainly not a test page but this cryptic message:
INTERNAL ERROR - FALSE POSITION : 0x11 (17) SYSTEM : h6fwsim_mono/xl_tbl LINE : 396 VERSION : SPL 5.05 01-04-2006
Some googling led me to Ubuntu bug 133376, RedHat bug 243038 and Ubuntu bug 85488, all related to my problem in a way. Looking through
dmesg output, it indeed seemed that my printer was repeatedly causing USB disconnects and connects. So I installed
apt-get install sysfsutils
...and added the following line to
module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend = -1
After a reboot (actually, I ran
/etc/init.d/sysfsutils manually) the continuous disconnecting was indeed no longer a problem. However, still no real output, only the internal error page mentioned before. I investigated things a bit more deeply (increasing Cups verbosity levels and such), but to no avail. I realised it looked like my machine was somehow sending illegal instructions when sending commands to the printer using the page description language used (SPL).
I was completely lost and decided to compile the Cups and Splix stack from scratch in order to (hopefully) get some more useful debugging stuff. So, while browsing the web for tarballs to build, I found out there had recently (20071019) been a new Splix release, version 1.0.2. My system was still using 1.0.1, so I gave it a try before building Cups itself:
tar xjvf splix-1.0.2.tar.bz2 cd splix-1.0.2/ ./configure
Yuck, Cups development headers missing:
apt-get install libcupsys2-dev libcupsimage2-dev ./configure make
Urgh. Build failed with a
make: ppdpo: Command not found message. Hmmm. Translated PPD files. Not that crucial for me, so not worth investigating:
make -k # ignore errors and keep going as much as possible
Then I copied the resulting
rastertospl2 to my system-wide Cups filters directory and restarted the Cups daemon:
sudo cp src/rastertospl2 /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl2 sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
Tried printing a test page again. WOW! It worked like a charm. Problem solved. Hopefully distributions start picking up Splix 1.0.2 soonish so that this printing problem no longer occurs.
Update: Hopefully Debian bug 439817 will be resolved soon…
Wouter Bolsterlee, also known as uws, a postmodern geek living in the Netherlands. Read more about me…
Unless stated otherwise, all material on this site is available under a Creative Commons Share-Alike license.